As a licensed or owner builder within Australia, you need to be insured to meet regulations. This is usually called Builders Warranty Insurance or Home Warranty Insurance. These obligations will vary, depending on which state or territory you work in.

It is designed to protect against the non-completion or defective workmanship should the builder die, disappear or become insolvent and has a cover period of 2 years for non structural defects and 6 years for structural defects from the completion of the contract. The cover must be obtained prior to receiving any payment in relation to the contract.


Builders Warranty Insurance is a legislative requirement under State/Territory law in NSW, ACT, VIC, SA and WA for contracts over $20,000 in NSW & WA (or $12,000 in VIC, ACT & SA). It protects homeowners from faulty workmanship or non-completion of a contract if the builder cannot through Death, Insolvency or disappearance. In NSW, it also provides cover with non compliance of a CTTT order.

By law Builders and Tradesman require a home warranty insurance certificate to be issued on behalf of the homeowner prior to any residential works commencing.

Builders Warranty insurance can appear to be daunting and complicated, but Anzic Insurance Brokers have the expertise and experience to provide the right insurance at the right price for you.

With the help of Anzic Insurance Brokers, you can streamline the process of choosing the most appropriate builders warranty insurance and level of cover to get you on-site and building sooner.